Wednesday, May 2, 2007

"They're All Catholic"

Since I attended Bible Study and worship with a small group of Unitarians in Mexico City, I can tell you with certainty that "they are all Catholic" is not true. Like us, Mexicans who start thinking about faith find themselves asking questions, and then, whether they are Catholic or Evangelical (the other large faith group in Mexico), they find out that questions are not in order. So they drop out, or, if they are lucky they find us. Or the Quakers. The group I met is affiliated with the ICUU, the International Council of Unitarians and Universalists, and they call themselves "Unitarian," a designation that has meaning for them. After all, Miguel Servet, martyr to the cause of Unitarian theology, was from Spain.

Conversation in the Bible study group was sophisticated. They had been reading Marcus Borg's Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. They were talking about whether the prophets had predicted the coming of the Messiah in the person of Jesus. And, since Fancisco, their leader, is an activist for gay rights, among other things, they were reexamining some of the passages that are used to condemn gay and lesbian ways of love. During worship the small group who gathered were invited to contemplate loss and mourning in a biblical framework, but not to be restricted to what had already been written. We got a little instruction about the parts of a psalm, and proceeded to write our own.

I thought about the conversations I had had in San Cristobal de las Casas, where there is no Unitarian group. The university students I met there were very intrigued with what I described when I talked about my faith. How could some form of Unitarianism come to them? Building some sort of liberal religion directly from Catholicism and pre-Columbian religions, finding songs they already know and changing the words... what would it look like? sound like? Could it be the kind of religion an increasingly educated population needs?

Something is changing in Mexico. In Mexico City they followed up very quickly on legalizing partnerships of same-gender couples with decriminalizing abortion. Separation of Church and State has become a battle cry. Is there an opening here for liberal religion? I think so. And it needs to emerge. The Unitarians are there, and I hope they step forward. It could really be good. I´m holding them in my heart, sending energy, and saying prayers for their good work at an important moment in history.

No comments: